Business Associations I (Hecker)
Check your email for the syllabus and prepare the first three assignments listed in the syllabus.
Read casebook pages 339 - 354 (after note 3), Restatement (2d) of Contracts §§ 12 – 16.
At least 30 minutes before class, send me an email attaching a two-party contract, other than a lease, of four pages or less. Highlight in the contract’s terms, only one promise by each party. In a separate document attached to the same email:
- Quote one promise and name the promisor and the promisee;
- Quote the other promise and name the promisor and the promisee;
- Explain whether these two promises are consideration for each other and why or why not.
Before doing this, re-read the first page of the syllabus, read Rest. §§ 1, 2 and 159, and consider the difference between a promise and a representation.
Read pp. v-xi; pp. 1-41.
For Monday, May 14, 2018, please read pages 75-96 in the casebook.
Lawyering Skills I (Keller)
Read Chapters 1-3 in your lawyering skills textbook: "A Lawyer Writes: A Practical Guide to Legal Analysis," by Christine Coughlin, Joan Malmud & Sandy Patrick (Carolina Academic Press 2013) (ISBN 9781611633979).*
Also go to http://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts and read the information contained in the sections below. Please also watch the short video on state and federal courts at https://www.fjc.gov/node/1616326.
- Federal Courts and the Public
- Court Role and Structure
- Comparing Federal and State Courts
- About the U.S. Courts of Appeal
* The KU Bookstore probably will not have this book available by orientation. If you are unable to purchase the book through other means before orientation, we can provide you with hard copies of the assigned chapters during orientation.
Professional Responsibility (Hazlett)
Read problems 1 & 2.
Property (Kronk Warner)
John G. Sprankling and Raymond R. Coletta, "Property: A Contemporary Approach" (3rd ed. West 2015), pp. 1-25